SSL is known as Secure Sockets Layer it is a protocol which is established for encrypted links between the web server and the web browser during online communication, this ensures the data transfer between the web server and the web browser remains encrypted. SSL certificate ensures securing connections for monetary transactions and accounts login on social media and other sites.
Importance Of SSL Certificate
SSL certificate is needed to be installed by an organization in order to secure the connections and allow users to have secure sessions through their browsers. SSL certificate is necessary these days as the internet has become quite insecure and penetrable by the hackers without SSL anyone’s important data can be accessed by the hackers. SSL ensures secure server-client communication and safer exchange of data, this means the data transfer is locked from end-to-end through the server to the client and no other party in between can have access to it. Apart from this SSL is also important for numerous other reasons.
Various browsers such as chrome, firefox, safari, opera, etc. have now started showing warnings for the sites without insecure connections without SSL certificates. When a certificate is installed on the server then the application protocol changes from HTTP to HTTPs where the ‘S’ stands for secure.
Ways To Edit Codes In .htaccess File
In order to redirect from HTTP to HTTPS, you will need to edit the codes in .htaccess. The steps and the ways to edit the .htaccess file mentioned below.
Ways: there are certain ways in which editing of .htaccess file can be done which are:
- By editing the file on the computer itself and then later uploading it to the server using FTP.
- Through the control panel from the file, the manager to edit the file.
- Text editor and SSH programs can also edit the file.
- Using the edit option from FTP which will allow you to edit the .htaccess file remotely.
How to edit .htaccess file using the control panel
.htaccess file can be edited through the control panel from the file manager although it is recommended to first backup the site before following these steps in case something goes wrong:
- Open the control panel and log in to it.
- Type files>File Manager>Root Document for:
- Select the domain name you want to access and click go.
- After the new tab opens there, look up for the .htaccess file.
- Right-click on the .htaccess file and click the “code edit” option from the menu.
- A dialogue box will appear which will display a prompt asking for the encoding, click the “edit” button in it to continue.
- Edit the file using the codes and save changes when done editing.
- Test the website in order to check the changes done correctly or not, if it is done then close the window, in case there is an error then restore the previous backup and try again.
As stated earlier HTTPS is more secure and better than HTTP it is highly recommended to install the SSL certificate for your server in order to keep the client-server data transfer safe as the internet is quite deceptive and harmful.